August 13, 2017
Call to Worship:
Where can we go and seek refuge?
We’ve taken refuge in You, Lord.
Who can rescue us from the grip of the wrongdoer?
We plead our case to You, Lord.
Is there any place we can run to escape the spiritual dangers that surround us?
The Lord is our rock and our refuge.
Let us lift up our praise as we celebrate the deliverance found only in the Lord.
Sermon Message by Rev. Dr. Parrish L. Bridges
"The Main Thing is Love"
Today's sermon theme: "Building great relationships."
I Corinthians 13:1-4 and Selected Scriptures
How would you complete this sentence?
“My MAIN PURPOSE AND REASON FOR LIVING THIS LIFE IS _________________.”
Is it happiness? Security? To just have fun? Popularity? To become famous? Approval? Comfort? To become wealthy? Or any other thing?
Without love, all that I:
• Say is ineffective. (verse 1)
• Know is incomplete. (verse 2)
• Believe is insufficient. (verse 2)
• Give is insignificant. (verse 3)
• Accomplish is inadequate. (verse 3)
The Practice of Love
Two insights on how to love in the way God calls us to love:
1. Love is an action.
2. Love is a choice.
The True Qualities of Love (I Cor. 13:1-13 and Romans 12:1-21)
1. Love is patient. (verse 4) – (Rom. 12:12-13)
2. Love is kind. (verse 4) – (Rom. 12:12-13)
Bible Texts: NLT (New Living Translation)
Psalm Reading: 71: 1-6
1) O Lord, I have come to you for protection;
don’t let me be disgraced.
2) Save me and rescue me,
for you do what is right.
Turn your ear to listen to me,
and set me free.
3) Be my rock of safety
where I can always hide.
Give the order to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
4) My God, rescue me from the power of the wicked,
from the clutches of cruel oppressors.
5) O Lord, you alone are my hope.
I’ve trusted you, O Lord, from childhood.
6) Yes, you have been with me from birth;
from my mother’s womb you have cared for me.
No wonder I am always praising you!
New Testament: 1 Corinthians 13: 1-4
1) If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2) If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.
3) If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
4) Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.