May 14 2017
Sermon Message by Rev. Dr. Parrish L. Bridges
"Helping Others, Like Jesus"
Bible Texts: NLT
This month's sermon theme: "How to model our lives after Jesus"
New Testament Scripture, Luke 4:14-21
Jesus Rejected at Nazareth
14) Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region. 15) He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.
16) When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17) The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written:
18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
that the blind will see,
that the oppressed will be set free,
19) and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.
20) He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down. All eyes in the synagogue looked at him intently. 21) Then he began to speak to them. “The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!”